dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Help with Sony DRX-500ULX drive

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Help with Sony DRX-500ULX drive
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:28:30 +1200

> I am trying to use dvdrecord with my sony DRX-500ULX drive (connected
> via USB). I get the following error:

> dvdrecord: Input/output error. reserve track: scsi sendcmd: no error
> CDB:  53 00 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF 00
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0

> Looking through the archives this means that I should upgrade my
> firmware, right?

I don't think from this fragment of SCSI I/O one can derive anything
useful. Use cdrecord-prodvd -inq to obtain the drive firmware version,
if it's 2.0c you need to upgrade. The latest firmware is available from

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/drx500ulxdwn.htm
(scroll down to "Firmware Upgrade 2.0F")

Has anyone successfully managed to install this under Linux? How?

Otherwise it may be safer to use a windows box to do the firmware
upgrade.

As for getting the drive recognised, with any Linux distribution worth
using this is fully automatic. You plug it in, the computer beeps a
couple of times, you may need to run rescan_scsi_bus.sh (as root, you
do for ieee1394), and you can see the drive in /proc/scsi/scsi. I only
have a USB1.1 to test this with but cdrecord worked fine (execept for
writing which I didn't attempt). I can't remember which modules were
loaded by the hotplug system, the usual uhci and scsi stuff. SuSE 8.2,
kernel 2.4.20 (SuSE does apply many patches to their kernels).

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.