dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] combo drive teac ddw-552g won't record CD-RW

From: Yury Tarasievich
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] combo drive teac ddw-552g won't record CD-RW
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:14:18 +0300

Hello,

Drive in question is teac ddw-552g revision N4K1, with declared write speeds 52 for CD-R, 32 for CD-RW. DVD part is read-only. When recording CD-RWs (with dvdrtools and cdrecord 1.10 and cdrecord 2xx, both "bastardized" and "pure"), operation seems to complete normally (but see next paragraph) but then I can't mount this same CD-RW on this same drive with diagnostics "no superblock or... blah-blah". This same CD-RW can be read on this same drive via dd. This same CD-RW mounts fine on other drives. CD-RWs recorded on other drives mount fine. Nero 6.3.* works fine and its recordings mount fine. All kinds of CD-RWs I have are affected -- 5" 0/4 speed, 5" 4/10, 3" 4/10. More, nowhere in -prcap or elsewhere is cdrw and 32x mentioned.

The only thing in diagnostics that looks unnormal (to me) is that drives returns scsi page 0x2A with size 70 while previously declaring it to be 76 bytes, resulting in wrong size in capabilities. But as it's a warning, not error, I don't know whether it matters.

regards,
Yury.