elyxer-users

Re: [eLyXer-users] Math display in browsers other than FireFox

From: elyxer-users
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Math display in browsers other than FireFox
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 00:17:34 +0200

Hi Xie,

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 10:21 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> First of all, thank you so much for your great eLyXer!

You are welcome! :D

> It seems that the math display are not rendered correctly in browsers
> other than FireFox.
> For example, my screen shots on the changelog.html:
> Safari on Mac OS X (see safari.png),
> Google Chrome on Windows XP (see chrome.jpeg),
> IE on Windows XP (see ie.jpeg)
>
> Is this a known bug, or problem with my browser settings? Thank you very much.

There seem to be three different problems:
  - First, limit alignment in the sum. The symbols are shown too high
both in Safari and in Chrome.
  - Second with Unicode symbols: they are not displayed well in Chrome or IE.
  - Finally, IE doesn't render the limits well at all. Probably
because it does not support CSS2 and we are using display:inline-table
here.

I would like the HTML code to work on as many platforms as possible.
We may be able to work through some of these problems if you can help
me try things out, as I don't have any of these browsers around.

First problem: limit alignment. Could you please try with the enclosed
CSS file? A few instructions in case you have never used a custom CSS:
just place the enclosed lyx.css in the same directory as your test
document and run
  $ elyxer.py --css lyx.css <your test doc.lyx> <output.html>
The resulting page should use this lyx.css instead of the default one.
You will know it does because the limits are displayed on a reddish
background. It seems to work on Firefox, let us hope it is so on
Safari and Chrome; if so I will add it to the next version.

Second, Unicode. This one is harder since you need a Unicode font to
render it well:
  http://unicode.org/help/display_problems.html
There is also an alternative solution: add a new runtime option to
make a conversion with as many characters as possible so that e.g. the
mathematical spaces that are shown as little squares get converted to
regular spaces. I don't know what solution you prefer. The first one
is more work while the second one will always be more limited. Just
let me know!

As to the third problem, CSS2 support: are you using IE 6 or 7?
Apparently IE 8 adds support for it:
  http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/
If you could try it and report how it goes it might help other people
with the same problem.

Thanks,

Alex.