elyxer-users

Re: [eLyXer-users] Elyxer svg file conversion problems.

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Elyxer svg file conversion problems.
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:42:21 +0100

Hi Bill,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> I suggest a --conv <file-name> elyxer option with which we can provide
>> a file of conversion rules. For each file to be converted elyxer searches
>> the file from the top down and use the first conversion rule that
>> matches. Here is an example:
>>
>> fig1.svg fig2.svg : inkscape %f --export-png=%b.png
>> --export-area=-44:16:-28:32
>> *.svg : inkscape %f --export-png=%b.png
>> *.xfig : xfig %f %b.png
>> * : convert %f %b.png
>
> Hey Bill C., that is a great idea.   :-)

It is indeed interesting, if a bit involved: you have to build a
conversion script file. For the same money you could also build a
little .sh (or .bat) which converts images to your liking and then
runs eLyXer. Would having a conversion script be much better, and
therefore justify the development?

> I suggest inclusion of a version number at the top of the file.
> If elyxer ever needs to change the interpretation of the file:
> - It invents a new syntax with a corresponding new verion number.
> - When reading the file it uses the version number to guide interpretation.
> - It should continue to support old versions for the foreseeable future.

My current policy is that this kind of files should work forever, and
all changes be backwards-compatible. One example is for the online CSS
file: I had to break compatibility once (that I know of) for image
sizing, but it was only on IE 5-6 and only for images without explicit
sizing. In general old eLyXer files should work with newer CSS files.

Alex.