Re[1]: copyright notices

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[1]: copyright notices
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 12:37:34 -0500

>>> Dave Love <address@hidden> seems to think that:
  [ ... ]
>Installed files must have the standard `This file is part of GNU
>Emacs...' copyright boilerplate.  The rules for the `Copyright...'
>line are that year ranges (e.g. 1997-2000) aren't allowed, but years
>may be abbreviated to two digits for compactness (e.g. 1997, 98, 99,
>2000).  See maintain.info.  [We ought to make Checkdoc and
>copyright.el enforce this.]
  [ ... ]

Is there a clever way in Emacs of determining if a lisp file is in an
Emacs source tree or not?  We wouldn't want to add "This file is part
of GNU Emacs..." in other files. ;)

Checkdoc uses lisp-mnt to extract important bits from the header.  I
think lisp-mnt should be responsible for getting the copyright line (a
task strangely missing.) and checkdoc could offer to fix it.
I will try to look into this.

Copyright.el would still need to be hacked to put in "2000" instead of
"00" when appropriate.

Eric

--
|\/\/\___/\/\/|  Eric Ludlam                 address@hidden; address@hidden