Very initial Emacs 21 observations

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Very initial Emacs 21 observations
Date: 19 Dec 2000 10:29:09 -0800

  How can one concentrate on one's writing with that blinking block
  cursor? Please make the default non-blinking. The cursor is big
  enough to be easily seen without the annoying blinking.

  The icons in the buttons are pretty bad. Not that I can do better,
  but they are pretty fuzzy, and there isn't enough difference between
  their enabled and disabled states to discern between them, until you
  pass the cursor over them to get or not get a button. Perhaps one of
  the more artistic of us could come up with some snazzy, sharp, color
  icons, or better yet, steal some from an existing library like the
  Java one at:

    http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/techDocs/hi/repository/

  Glad to see that there are tooltips since some of them are
  unrecognizable.

  It also appears that Emacs is finally getting some graphic
  capabilities. This makes me optimistic that we can do some cool
  stuff with mh-e, gnus, and MIME, perhaps by rendering in-line images
  in-line or displaying faces, etc. Where should I start looking to
  learn about the new graphic capabilities?

  The new wrap margins are a lot nicer than the old backslash that was
  used to continue lines. However, if my screen is 80 columns wide,
  and the line is 80 characters, emacs still wraps. I don't think that
  it should. Also, I'm not sure that the wrap margin on the left-hand
  side is necessary and uses up valuable screen real estate.

  The toolbar and modeline look very nice. The scroll bar still looks
  the same as it did in the 80s however.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/
Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ. Vote Libertarian!