Re: Very initial Emacs 21 observations

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Very initial Emacs 21 observations
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:52:36 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

> My cursor is anything but small.  It is a big block cursor that
> *never* gets lost in text, whether blinking or not.  I bet you are
> starting Emacs with a very narrow vertical bar type of cursor, or a
> period or dot.  Where do you set that variable?

If you mean the type of the cursor--box or bar--it is set in the frame
parameters.  This is documented in the ELisp reference.

> I agree with Bill, the blinking block is an abomination.

Just to make the opinions more balanced, I don't agree with Bill.  I'm
working with blinking cursor most of the time (because the blinking
cannot be turned off on the MS-DOS terminal), and I can see no
abomination in that feature.

I think many (most?) Unix tty's also blink their cursor by default.  At
least the one where I'm typing this does.