Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 13:19:16 -0400

> > From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> > Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 12:52:11 -0400

> > > Hmm.. doesn't this depend on the specific handler?  For example, a
> > > handler that needs to stat the file will need to deal with the Cygwin
> > > thing first, to get a real file name, right?
> >
> > I don't understand your question.  Why "first" as opposed to
> > "sooner or later" (as long as the intermediate handlers don't mess
> > things up).
>
> Maybe I don't understand the issue.
>
> Let's take the operation of file-executable-p, for example.  Should
> that operation for /cygdrive/d/foo/bar.gz return information about the
> compressed or uncompressed file?

Clearly this is a question for jka-compr to answer, so jka-compr
needs to be involved (i.e. either the cygwin handler makes sure to
pass on the filename (maybe modified) to jka-compr, or jka-compr
gets it first).

> If the latter, the Cygwin handler, if there is one, should be called
> before jka-compr, or else jka-compr will say that the file doesn't exist.

No, jka-compr just passes down the filename to subsequent handlers (in this
case to the cygwin handler).

> Am I missing something?

I'm not sure, but you seem to assume that the first handler handles it
all, whereas the first handler usually passes on the filename (after some
potential modifications) to the second, ...

The cygwin case is exactly the same as the ange-ftp case.  And
jka-compr and ange-ftp do work just fine together.

        Stefan