Re: many packages write to `temporary-file-directory' insecurely

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: many packages write to `temporary-file-directory' insecurely
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 12:18:20 -0500

>    From: Colin Walters <address@hidden>
>    Date: 02 Mar 2002 16:12:30 -0500
>
>    > The right way to do this, I think, is to put the score files in the
>    > user's ~/.emacs.d directory.  Does anyone object to expanding the use of
>    > the .emacs.d directory in this way?
>
> How do you share high-scores between users then? We do want to share
> scores...

It's difficult to do it safely.
We could try to allow sharing in the case where the parent dir of the
shared file is only writable by root.

But in any case sharing should not be done via /tmp.
We should instead define a `score-files-directory' which could default
to "/var/games" or to "~/.emacs.d".

        Stefan