Re: featurep

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: featurep
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:03:44 -0500

> "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > Ok, but if you combine :family 'local and :datagram t, and
> > > make-network-process returns nil, you really don't know whether it's
> > > because it doesn't support local sockets or datagrams -- so what would
> > > you try next?
> >
> > Why does it matter ?
> > What would the code look like using your :feature thing ?
>
> Probably not a lot different, but without checking for a feature
> first, the current code will throw an error for an unsupported feature
> indicating (in clear text) what the problem is.

That's perfectly fine.  I never actually suggested to rely on a `nil'
return value.  I definitely prefer signalling an error, just make
sure that you use a signal that makes the problem clear like
`unsupported-network-feature' so that the signal handler can
distinguish it from other problems.

        Stefan