Re: table.el 1.6.1

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: table.el 1.6.1
Date: 21 Mar 2002 09:41:22 +0100

Tak Ota <address@hidden> writes:

> Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:38:56 -0500: "Stefan Monnier"
> <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > So far I find one problem.  Somehow when point goes inside a table
> > > cell the table menu does not appear in the menu bar.  For this part
> > > the same code works fine under emacs-21.1.90 although command remap is
> > > missing.  Has the menu mechanism in keymap changed under 21.3?
> >
> > I seem to remember that something was changed in that area as part
> > of the command remap thingy.  It was claimed at the time that
> > position-dependent menubar entries (i.e. menu-bar bindings in
> > `keymap' and `local-map' text properties) did not work and
> > should be taken out.
>
> Try run the table.el under 21.1.90.  When the point enters a cell the
> table menu does appear, and disappears when point goes out.
>
> > Are you saying that they did work ?
>
> Yes, the position-dependent menubar entry does work under 21.1.90,
> however does not work under 21.2.50 and 20.7.

I made some tests showing that it really didn't work just to put menu
bar entries in a keymap or local-map property, unless the menu-bar was
refreshed after every command, and we didn't want to do that.

Also, there was no indications of code actually using this feature, so
it was decided to take it out to prevent *new* code from using it.

I can now see that if you can ensure that the menu bar (or just the
mode line) is refreshed when point enters a text area which has a keymap
property, then it will work.  So I suppose your code does something
which triggers a mode line update.  How do you do that (I think this
is important advice for using this feature)?

In any case, I'll restore the support for menu entries in text
property keymaps ASAP!