Re: emacs 21.2

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs 21.2
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:21:18 +0200

> From: "Marshall, Simon" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:43:42 -0000
>
> I realise each bug is a difficult call.  But to explain my perspective,
> if I had known that none of the above had been fixed in 21.2, I would
> not have (a) upgraded and (b) bothered using the pretest versions.  I
> can see me following the same perspective for future pretests for 21.3.

I'm sorry to hear that.  From the v21.2 pretest experience, it sounds
like the interest in trying the pretest versions has diminished lately
in general.  If that is so, the adverse effects of that will certainly
show in the long run in the quality of our releases.  I lament that
tendency, and hope I'm dead wrong in my conclusions.

I wish people would understand that sometimes stability is more
important than fixing some annoying misbehavior or adding new
features.  I wish more people who read this list would participate in
pretesting Emacs, even if the release under pretest is a minor bugfix.

Of course, since there's a judgement call involved, everybody is
welcome to step forward and argue for the changes they think should
be included.  But if you don't speak up, I can't see how can we take
your views into account.