Re: table.el 1.6.1

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: table.el 1.6.1
Date: 01 Apr 2002 06:56:44 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> The point-entered and point-left properties are handled in
> set_point_both, so if point leaves and reenters the same interval
> due to executing a command, those hooks are executed (superfluously?)

The point-entered and point-left properties _must_ be handled in this
manner, because they're open ended -- users can add any sort of hook
they want, and such hooks might actually depend on this behavior.

> Since my idea of doing a mode-line update in the same place if
> an interval is left or entered -- and you argue that is not the
> proper place

The mode-line state (by contrast) only depends on the position of point
at the instant of redisplay, so recalculating every time point moves
will often be wasted effort.

-Miles
--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I