Insert Euro symbol

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Insert Euro symbol
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 15:19:06 +0200

Emacs by default provides the very convenient C-x 8 series of
keybindings.  For me, personally, it is in some cases preferable to
using input methods: I use german-prefix as an input method and have
gotten used to ' being a regular self-inserting key, so switching to
latin-1-prefix won't make me happy.  Nevertheless, I sometimes want
to write é or à or the like.  For this, C-x 8 is convenient.

Now there is sometimes the need for entering the Euro symbol.  I
suggested a C-x 8 binding for that some time ago, but people objected
that C-x 8 inserts Latin-1 characters, so people might be confused
with now inserting Latin-9 characters in some cases.

Do you think that there should be a keybinding of some sort to insert
the Euro character?  (A keybinding that is not in an input method.)

Do you think it should be a C-x 8 binding?  (Because of 8859
unification, the distinction between Latin-1 and Latin-9 are becoming
less relevant.  When Emacs uses Unicode internally, the distinction
will be irrelevant I guess.  That would be an argument in favor of
C-x 8.)

Do you think a C-x 9 series of bindings, paralleling C-x 8 but in
Latin-9 instead of Latin-1, would be useful?  (What about the poor
Latin-2 folks, though?)

kai
--
Silence is foo!