Re: Insert Euro symbol

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Insert Euro symbol
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 17:33:06 +0200

Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Indeed.  I had forgotten about that.  But then, we'd have to create a
>> version of german-prefix which inserts Latin-9 characters.  Which is
>> not difficult, I guess.
>
> I still wish these artificial will vanish...  As experience shows again
> and again this concept is by no means userfriendly.

Please be patient.  At the moment, making a new input method for
German Latin-9 seems best.  I just switched Emacs to a Latin-9 locale
but still use german-prefix.  This means that I can use the normal
X11 method of entering ä (<compose> <a> <">) which produces a Latin-9
character, whereas the german-prefix way (<"> <a>) produces a Latin-1
character, and `C-s ä' does not find both.

Yes, unify-8859-on-decoding-mode would work around this problem.  But
I think we want something which works well even for users who have
that turned off.  (Turning unify-8859-on-decoding-mode on has the
unfortunate side-effect of changing the encoding of the Emacs
ChangeLog files.  So I guess that Emacs developers, at least, will
want to leave unify-8859-on-decoding-mode off.)

If you want to make it happen faster, help Handa-san with his Unicode
work.  Wishing is permissible, of course, but not very practical :-)

kai
--
Silence is foo!