Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Enhancements to "minor-mode-map-alist" functionality.
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 20:45:59 -0600 (MDT)

    The "messing up" I'm concerned about is if some other mode
    (accidentally) changes the sequence of the elements in the alist, or
    (accidentally) removes one or more of the elements.

It does not seem particularly likely.  I think you should relax.

    In cua, I have three keymaps which remaps the same commands
    (e.g. kill-ring-save) depending on whether the global mark,
    the rectangle, or the region is active -- all of which may be
    true at the same time!!!  So for things to work properly,
    the elements in the alist must be in the proper order.

But no other mode is going to reorder the cua elements.
Other modes would just manipulate their own elements.