Re: Customize fringe

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Customize fringe
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 01:11:42 +0200

On Sunday 12 May 2002 01:44, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
> > address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > >
> > > I would like you to wait implementing anything like this.
> > > It is on my TODO list to make fringe configurable
> > > per buffer/window rather than per frame.
> > >
> > > Something like variables left-margin-width / right-margin-width
> > > and functions set-window-margin / window-margin.
> > >
> > > Once that is in place, various modes may fine-tune their
> > > use of the fringe (e.g. gdb may explicitly enable the left
> > > fringe for the arrow, and speedbar may turn off both fringes
> > > by default).
> >
> > Hm.  Aren't these separate issues?  Fine tuning for each mode would
> > require per buffer fringes.  But the overall customization by the user
> > to disable fringes works if default-frame-alist and all existing
> > frames are modified.  If the fine tuning exist, it can override the
> > frame wide decision not to have fringes.
>
> Can it?  Should it?
>
> If you think of this as similar to the menu-bar, I don't think we
> have any major modes which turns on the menu bar if the user has
> turned it off  (and likewise with the scroll-bar).

I don't know -- for me disabling the fringes everywhere is acceptable (and, to
me, preferable).  I was trying to understand why fine tuning of fringes would
be useful, and then trying to understand how this fine tuning relates to the
high level customization made possible by fringe.el.

> So will it be acceptable to have a non-standard behaviour for fringes
> where major (or minor) modes override the user's choice?

Probably not.  OTOH, some modes do override the user's choice because it
"knows better".  E.g., speedbar (menu-bar, tool-bar) and ediff (ditto).

> I would prefer to have per-buffer fringes controlled by a per-mode
> alist -- then you (as a user) will be able to add e.g. fundamental-mode
> and text-mode to that alist with option "no fringes".
>
> That's less intrusive than simply turning off the fringe for all modes.

Ah.  That could be useful. Would adding similar controls for controlling the
menu-bar and tool-bar be useful as well?

> IMO it is a bad idea to remove the left fringe in e.g. C buffers, as
> it is used by gdb-mode if you debug that C program/module.

gdb-mode moves the point as well, if I recall correctly.  I'm satisfied with
that, and in fact I prefer it over having an arrow in the fringe.

> However, I don't object to adding "Fringe" to the Show/Hide menu -- as
> long as it is understood that it only controls the default settings
> for the fringes.  I think the options should be: Both/Left/Right/None.

Yes, sounds good.

> > My main goal is that it should not be very difficult for the user to
> > just disable fringes everywhere, much like you can disable the toolbar
> > and menubar everywhere today.  Fine tuning is useful for re-enabling
> > fringes in those modes where the user wants them, but couldn't that be
> > added to fringe.el later?
>
> Yes.

Ok.