Re: Customize fringe

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize fringe
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:18:36 -0600 (MDT)

    So will it be acceptable to have a non-standard behaviour for fringes
    where major (or minor) modes override the user's choice?

That seems like a good idea.

I think the best way is to have a buffer-local variable that the mode
can set.  That is how major modes control most everything else.
If a major mode says it wants fringes, that should override the default
selected by the user.

    However, I don't object to adding "Fringe" to the Show/Hide menu -- as
    long as it is understood that it only controls the default settings
    for the fringes.

Right.