Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: 17 May 2002 14:07:47 +0200

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> Most of the time, the defaults are right, so I only need to do
> C-u M-x grep RET RET which turns into C-u C-c g RET with the
> appropriate binding.

With the appropriate bindings, I find H-m RET RET RET easier to type
than C-u C-c g RET :-)

> But obviously this is a matter of taste.

.. which is why the "discussion" about it will never end :-)

> > I don't see the need to show the prefix at all  (I just typed
> > it to get the menu).
>
> If there was no such menu, the minibuffer would say "M-g " after a little
> while, which is why I figured it might be good to keep the "M-g" prefix
> somewhere.  But admittedly, the menu probably makes it clear enough
> "where" one is.

Since I already got immediate feedback on typing M-g, I don't need it
to tell me what key I typed to get there (that's rather uncommon IMO).
C-s doesn't prompt you with:  C-s I-search:  either.