Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 18:37:09 -0400

>     > I wasn't aware of the HierarKey feature (it's a very well hidden
> "fact").
>     > It compares almost 1:1 ... except I don't like HierarKey menus
>     > to show the full key bindings, e.g.
>     >
>     >   Set face: default  (M-g d), bold  (M-g b), italic  (M-g i), l =
> bold-italic  (M-g l), undeline  (M-g u), Other ...  (M-g o)
>
>     I tend to agre.  Maybe we should just change it.  Or move the M-g prefix
>     to the beginning of the line (so it appears only once).
>
> What's right to do depends on the circumstances.  In the context of
> setting the face, you are typing key sequences.  The point is to show
> the whole equivalent key sequences for these commands.  For that
> point, it needs to show the whole key binding.

I don't really understand what you mean.  What's the point of saying
"you can get the same effect by hitting M-g d" when the user has
just hit M-g d anyway ?
In menubar entries, it makes sense because we list equivalent but
*different* key sequences.  For example, we never list
<menu-bar> <files> <kill-buffer> because that's not a different
binding and would thus be redundant.  Similarly, listing M-g in the
above HierarKey prompt is redundant.

        Stefan