Reading directory names with read-file-name

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Reading directory names with read-file-name
Date: 19 May 2002 01:33:37 +0200

When a directory name is read with read-file-name,
there really isn't anything which indicates that it
is a directory name rather than a file name that
is required.

Among other things, this implies that using completion
while reading a directory name returns all file _and_
directory names, rather than just the directory names.

To me, this really doesn't make sense.

I propose to add a sixth argument READ-DIR to read-file-name
which indicates that we are reading a directory name, and
not just any file name.

The completion in read-file-name-internal should (somehow)
be aware of this and only return completions which are
directories (i.e. having a trailing /).

Subsequently, I propose to implement a wrapper in lisp
around read-file-name named read-directory-name.

If we agree on this, I'll implement it.