Re: German tutorial fix

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: German tutorial fix
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:47:27 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> The danger is that people will read such this and say `I have arrow keys,
> so I don't need to bother with all these strange and odd key-bindings --
> they're only for sad users stuck on 1970's hardware.'

Yes, I think they only *need* this on old terminals.  Perhaps they
might *want* it for various reasons, but I think we should concentrate
on what users need.

> If we believe (as I obviously do) that the non-arrow-key bindings
> are _better_ in some situations, and also offer other less tangible
> benefits (such as their integration into the emacs `scheme' for
> keybindings), then we really ought to also point out `Hey, these
> bindings may seem unnecessary, but really, you ought to try them for
> a while, you may be glad you did.'

I'm not sure this kind of thing belongs into the tutorial.

I think the tutorial ought to be short, and easy to understand.  So
let us not encumber it with too much information.  After all, there is
still the manual.  And even if we do mention the control keys, let us
only give the most obvious arguments for them: mnemonics, and old
terminals.  I think that typing speed is on par with health
considerations: Nobody knows for sure.

Alex.
--
http://www.electronicintifada.net/diaries/index.html