Re: address@hidden: Re: Problem sending bigger mails with CVS Gnus + CVS

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Problem sending bigger mails with CVS Gnus + CVS Emacs]
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 12:58:52 +0200

Alex said there was a bug in process-send-string under Windows
recently.  I wrongly assumed that the smtpmail.el bug was not related
to recent Emacs changes.  Cristoph, is it?  If it is I think it
doesn't make sense for me to look at it more until the elisp
primitives are fixed.

As for the general question -- since I send large amount of data
often, as long as the primitives work I don't see any critical need
for improvement.

There are two outstanding minor problems I know of when it comes to
subprocess.  Unfortunately, I think they are quite difficult to debug
since they have been around since probably 19.x or at least 20.x.
There are workarounds for them, so users shouldn't see them.

* Dead locks when sending much data.  Search for "dead" in nntp.el.  I
  haven't seen this myself, and perhaps it has already been fixed --
  imap.el doesn't use anything similar.

* "Blue moon" bug.  Search for "blue moon" in nntp.el and imap.el.  I
  know several people has tried to reproduce and debug this but
  failed.  The workaround in imap.el for this one was added fairly
  recently.