Re: kill ring menu

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 09:58:51 -0400

>     However, I can't just change the Fget_text_property call to
>     Fget_char_property, because that would incorrectly pick up any overlay
>     `face' property *before* a text property `face' value.
>
> You are right--face handling can't use Fget_char_property.

Maybe we could have a `text-property-merge-method-alist' which
could associate each property with a method to use to merge them
when they appear several times.  By default it would have value
'((face . append)) where the `append' means that the various
properties are combined by appending them (and turning any non-list
into a list before doing that).
Maybe other methods could be offered.  Then get-char-property can
implement this feature and it could then be used for face handling.

One problem I can see is that `append' would cause get-char-properties
to allocate, which could have a significant performance impact.

        Stefan