Re: kill ring menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:27:58 -0600 (MDT)

    Or alternatively, we could view it as a primitive feature, much like
    default-text-properties.  In fact, this turns out to be entirely trivial
    to implement.  See attached patch.

On second thoughts, this approach is a good one, because you can
always bind `char-property-alternatives-alist' to nil if you want to
get raw property values.

But please rename `char-property-alternatives-alist' to
`char-property-alias-alist'.  That name more clearly expresses
the meaning of the variable.

However, your code only implements the feature only for text properties.
You need to do it for overlay properties next.

      However that's
    more complicated, for several reasons; e.g. the code to do
    overlay lookup is duplicated in several places [this is stupid,
    IMO, at least it seems like it should use some cpp macros or
    something].

Miles, where are those places?

    Anyway, personally I'd be happy with a text-property only
    implementation at first.  What do other people think?

I think we should do the job right, first thing.  It is not that big a
job.