Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 23 May 2002 13:26:59 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> We can quite easily have both categories and `font-lock-face'.  Then
> people who just need to toggle display of faces (the majority, I'm quite
> sure) can use `font-lock-face', while those with other needs can combine
> the two approaches, or just use categories.

You're right, it's just that the whole thing feels vaguely kludgey; I
have this nagging feeling that there's a more general solution lurking
just around the corner.

For instance, here's a random idea (i.e., not well thought out!):
instead of hardwiring `font-lock-face', how about a buffer-local
variable that holds `alternative property mappings'?

When the display code looks up property FOO, and can't find it, it looks
at the alist of `alternative property mappings' for FOO, and if it finds
an entry for FOO, of the form (FOO ALT1 ALT2...), it will then try each
of the alternatives ALT1, ALT2, etc., instead, until it finds something.

Then for font-lock, the `alternative property mappings' alist could be
just ((face font-lock-face)) when font-lock is turned on, and nil when
font-lock is turned off.

Info could also use an entry for its invisible property, e.g.
((face font-lock-face) (invisible info-invisible)).

I'm not sure whether the above idea is feasible to implement, but
you get the idea.

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'