Re: kill ring menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: kill ring menu
Date: 22 May 2002 22:09:14 +0900

BTW (again!), I thought of another reason why categories are better
than the alternatives:  they can contain properties other than faces,
which could also be easily turned on / off.

An example of where this is a win is info.  Info files usually have lines
of dashes or asterixes underneath headings for emphasis, and when the
info code fontifies the buffer, it also wraps these lines in an
invisible property, because they're not needed when the header text is
emphasized using a face.  However when I tried using the new font-lock
mode stuff to remove the faces from an info buffer, I noticed that
those lines were still hidden.

Using the category method, I think it would be very easy to arrange for
the invisible properties to be turned on and off by the same mechanism
used to turn on and off faces.

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!