Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: Patch to disable links line in *info* buffer
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:14:47 +0200

> A few people say they don't like it, but nobody has given any reasons.

Two reasons were already mentioned:

    . Two lines take more space than one; this _is_ a serious issue of
    course at the beginning of a node we have a lot of vertical
    whitespace and vertically oversized lines.  Now think about laptop
    users who cannot affort more than a 800x600 display: most of the
    time they will have to page down the first page of a node to get
    "real" info (esp. when they have done somethin like C-x 2 first).

    . For the innocent user the doubled text looks like an error (he
    will not know every line serves its own purpose) and once told
    about it he might think Emacs is strange...

> People complained when it was not possible.

IIRC, it was only one who complained.

> In response, we made a special command for doing it, but hardly anyone
> knows about that command so it is not a very good solution.

Only an expert will have to know about this command; we can ask him to
get familiar with it.

Please, revert the behavior (and try to keep the 21.x series as
consistent as possible).

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o