Re: scrolling images?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: scrolling images?
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 15:24:39 -0400

    The Emacs mail client VM (http://www.wonderworks.com/vm/) divides images
    into strips to allow scrolling. From the documentation of
    vm-mime-use-image-strips:

It would be very unclean to require every Lisp program that displays
images to cut them apart in this way in order to get better scrolling.
If it were installed inside of `create-image', and if all other Lisp
programs call `create-image', then the interface could remain clean.
That might be a good first step, I suppose.

Unfortunately we cannot use the code from VM, since its author
won't sign a copyright assignment.

What we really want in the longer term is to have scrolling commands
that do the job cleanly.