Re: Emacs 21/X11 generating unbelieveable network traffic

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs 21/X11 generating unbelieveable network traffic
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 20:32:51 -0400

    I've got some time on my hands right now, and would like to see this
    problem solved as well, so figured I'd take a crack at it.  d/l'ed the
    emacs cvs repo, looking through it now.  I'm wondering whether there is a
    Roadmap or HACKING-type file for emacs.  Is there some sort of intro doc
    that breaks down the layout of the code?

No, but the code that talks with X for these jobs is mostly in xfns.c
and xterm.c.  Someone already analyzed what causes this slowdown; see
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-devel/2002-September/012633.html.
It is looking up colors and fonts.

With that info it should not take too long for you to find the
relevant code with some breakpoints.  The real job will be designing
a way to avoid doing so many calls to look up colors and fonts.

It would be useful to look further up the call chain and see
what parts of Emacs are doing these lookups.  What is the pattern
of what is going on?