Re: Mule-UCS 0.84 (KOUGETSUDAI) release.

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Mule-UCS 0.84 (KOUGETSUDAI) release.
Date: 06 Dec 2002 16:58:47 +0000

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> I can't size this down to a small example -- mule-ucs is one of the
> most complicated pieces of Lisp I've ever seen.

Indeed, and as far as I know, only himi understands it.  The
equivalent functionality in the Emacs development source is quite
simple because CCL can now do lookup in hash tables.  It is currently
_too_ simple, but it should allow you to edit CJK text decoded from
utf-8 in basically the same way as Mule-UCS.

It would be good if people who need that facility and use the Emacs
development version would try it and help make improvements.  I can
sketch ideas for improvement and I have generated some useful tables
which aren't currently installed.  I've also recently corrected an
oversight in CVS -- the mule-utf-8 safe-chars property wasn't updated
to take account of the encodable CJK characters.

I'm not saying that problems with Mule-UCS shouldn't be fixed, of
course.