Re: Mule-UCS 0.84 (KOUGETSUDAI) release.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Mule-UCS 0.84 (KOUGETSUDAI) release.
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 08:59:58 +0100 (CET)

> It would be good if people who need that facility and use the Emacs
> development version would try it and help make improvements.  I can
> sketch ideas for improvement and I have generated some useful tables
> which aren't currently installed.  I've also recently corrected an
> oversight in CVS -- the mule-utf-8 safe-chars property wasn't
> updated to take account of the encodable CJK characters.

I'm not sure whether Emacs without Mule-UCS can satisfy my needs yet:
I want to map UTF8 input to the many ETL fonts (which are in various
encodings) for displaying.  There is no complete Unicode 12x24
monospaced font -- this is the font size I use by default.

According to the documentation of unify-8859-on-decoding-mode, it does
exactly the opposite.

The real problem with Mule-UCS for me is that the configuration of
this mapping has never worked (besides the fact that it has never been
documented); for example, many character ranges are mapped to JIS
encodings by default, but I would like to have 8859 encodings instead.
I sent bug reports to Himi a long time ago (almost two years ago,
IIRC), but there is no longer any development.

I don't have enough time currently to test Emacs-Unicode which will
eventually support what I want AFAIK.

    Werner