Latest 21.3 CVS and MS Windows

From: Frank Schmitt
Subject: Latest 21.3 CVS and MS Windows
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 09:25:59 +0100

Hello

I just wanted to try Emacs 21.3 under MS Windows, therefor checked out
latest CVS but run into several problems:

First I tried to build using MS Visual C++ 6.0. I said "configure.bat
--with-ms-vc" and then said nmake but got an error message telling that
essential Lisp files would be missing and that I should either create
abbrev.elc somehow or run nmake bootstrap.

I then said "nmake bootstrap", this took ages but worked. I then said
"nmake install" however something seems to be broken about creation of
Info files because when i fire up info, I get the usual top node, but no
matter on which menu item I go, I get the error message "Info file foo
does not exist.". (There's no difference if I install Emacs where it's
build or if I give configure the --prefix foo option).

Then I wanted to try out the new external image library support, therefor
I got

jpeg-6b-1-bin.zip   libpng-1.0.13-bin.zip   libpng-1.2.4-src.zip
tiff-3.5.7-bin.zip
jpeg-6b-1-lib.zip   libpng-1.0.13-lib.zip   libungif-4.1.0b1-bin.zip
tiff-3.5.7-lib.zip
libjpeg-6b-bin.zip  libpng-1.2.4-1-bin.zip  libungif-4.1.0b1-lib.zip
xpm-3.4k-1-bin.zip
libjpeg-6b-lib.zip  libpng-1.2.4-1-lib.zip  libungif-4.1.0b1-src.zip
xpm-3.4k-1-lib.zip
zlib-1.1.4-bin.zip  zlib-1.1.4-lib.zip

from gnuwin32.sourceforge.net, unziped the files, added the include
directory to $INCLUDE and the bin directory to $PATH and repeated the
cycle from above. Configure found all external libraries except the gif
libraries and nmake gave me an Emacs which was able of displaying
XPM's. However (image-type-available-p 'tif) (or 'tiff) evaluates to
nil, as well as configure said it found the necessary libraries, trying
to display a jpeg results in an empty square of the size of a character
and trying to display a png makes Emacs crash, no matter if I use
libpng-1.2.4 or libpng-1.0.13.

So I thought "MS-VC build seems to be somehow broken, let's try it with
Cygwin's gcc"

I said
./configure.bat --with-gcc --no-cygwin --cflags
-I/win/g/Programme/gnuwin32/include/
which worked

but saying make (or make bootstrap) results in

[Please ignore a syntax error on the next line - it is intentional]
Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
Using /bin/sh.exe as shell.
gcc -o oo-spd/i386/addpm.exe \
           -g -mno-cygwin  oo-spd/i386/addpm.o   -ladvapi32 -luser32
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-mingw32/3.2/../../../../i686-pc-mingw32/bin/ld: cannot
open crt2.o: No such file or directory
make: *** [oo-spd/i386/addpm.exe] Error 1

Reducing the configure options to --with-gcc doesn't help, I get the
same error.

My environment: Full install of up-to-date Cygwin, Cygwin bin dirs in
global $PATH,Latest Emacs CVS head, MS Visual C++ (all patches), Cygwin
make 3.79.1, Cygwin gcc 3.2, Windows XP SP1.

However after so much trouble, there's also joy: Damned, Emacs is FAST!
I'm using XEmacs 21.5 at the moment and even if I disable all debugging
when building XEmacs it is unbelievable much slower. I'm not talking
about Emacs being 10 or 20% faster, when I run Gnus in both and stop the
time for e.g. entering a large group I'm talking about Emacs being 3-4
times (sic!) faster. This is incredible, and it's a major pain for me
now to return to this sluggish XEmacs, so I would be really grateful, if
you could help me to get Emacs 21.3 up and running. (I need (want) the
external image library support of 21.3, because I want to display XFaces
and Faces headers and use preview-latex).

MFG Frank

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them