Re: no font shown with tamil.el

From: 川幡 太一
Subject: Re: no font shown with tamil.el
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:59:27 +0900

Dear people,

I'm sorry that I couldn't read the past mails.  I was busy at this
Friday and Thursday.

I have no time to read the other mails but just skimming them,
so I'll reply with merely reading this mail.

> This is really the crucial information.  If these licenses are free,
> then we have no problem.  There is no need to work on replacing them
> if they are ok to use.

> On the other hand, if these licenses are NOT free, and if ISFOC is in
> India, and if I can meet with them while I am here, maybe I can do
> some good.

> I need the info ASAP, since I am travelling around India and we don't
> know which city they are in.

o C-DAC's various Indian fonts are copyrighted.

o When I asked them about the use of their fonts for Emacs, they've
  given me the permisson in 1999.

o But it was a long time ago, so we should ask again for it for
  assurance.  Dr. Anupam, who worked for CDAC at that time and gave me
  the permisson, no longer work there.

o It seems they've given the right to distribute their fonts for
  various places, if we search the web sites with their font name as
  keyword.

o I realize that their fonts are not really free fonts, but since they
  seems beautiful, popular, and only well known glyphs so that we had
  no choice for that fonts other than theirs at that time.  Now
  situation may change now.

o I thought that the copyright issue of the program code for
  char->glyph conversion and the copyright of font can be separated.

Yours sincerely,

KAWABATA, Taichi (address@hidden)