Re: Bold by moving pixels problem

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Bold by moving pixels problem
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 04:54:41 -0400

This patch makes it possible to GC inside a lot of places
that formerly could not.  A list of them is below.
I would expect that some of them don't GCPRO what they need to,
but I have not checked them for that.

It also looks like eval can in principle be called from a signal
handler.  We could solve that problem if we move all X event
processing outside of the signal handler, as someone suggested.  That
would mean that mouse highlighting doesn't update if you move the
mouse while a command is running, and the Emacs frame would not
rewrite itself if you move another window across it while a command is
running.  I think that would be a very noticeable step backwards.

Is there a way to get the job done by having the user
specify something other than Lisp code to run?

realize_face
lookup_face
realize_default_face
realize_named_face
lookup_named_face
smaller_face
face_with_height
lookup_derived_face
compute_char_face
face_at_buffer_position
face_at_string_position
face_for_char
realize_basic_faces
ascii_face_of_lisp_face
highlight_trailing_whitespace
get_overlay_arrow_glyph_row
handle_face_prop
note_mouse_highlight
note_mouse_movement
(I did not search for the callers of the ones below.)
display_string
init_frame_faces
recompute_basic_faces
update_face_from_frame_parameter