Re: Bold by moving pixels problem

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bold by moving pixels problem
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 10:35:49 -0400

> It also looks like eval can in principle be called from a signal
> handler.  We could solve that problem if we move all X event
> processing outside of the signal handler, as someone suggested.  That
> would mean that mouse highlighting doesn't update if you move the
> mouse while a command is running, and the Emacs frame would not
> rewrite itself if you move another window across it while a command is
> running.  I think that would be a very noticeable step backwards.

That's not quite accurate.  The updating is about as immediate with
my synchronous signal handler as it is with the current async
signal handler, because it can take place any time QUIT is used,
which means "also in the middle of elisp code".

Of course, this means that it's still unsafe to `eval' code
from a synchronous signal handler, so it wouldn't help in
the case of Miles's code.

I've been running with synchronous signal handlers since I mentioned
it on this list and I'm pretty happy with it.

        Stefan