Re: Idea for compilation mode

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: Re: Idea for compilation mode
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 12:27:13 +0200

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> These two issues are unrelated.  If you suggest specific bindings,
> I can think about them.

I was thinking of C-c r for recompile, C-c c for compile and C-c g or C-c s for
compilation-mode-grep.

>     I've always use the old gosmacs binding for this -- `C-x C-n' -- which I
>     find very nice (even on a normal ascii keyboard, C-x ` is rather awkward
>     to type).
>
> I didn't put it there because I carried forward the original Emacs
> meaning of C-x C-n.  However, it could well be that next-error is
> used more than set-goal-column.  So perhaps that binding should be changed.
>
> However, if next-error is C-x C-n, previous-error can't be C-x C-p.
> It would be better to find a good pair of keys for next-error and
> previous-error.

I am not sure how often C-x C-p (mark-page) is used but maybe it could be moved
to C-x p which is free at the moment and would be similar to C-x h (mark-whole-
buffer).

Then C-x C-p and C-x C-n could be used for next previous error if
set-goal-column is not so important to be on C-x C-n. But as someone pointed
out a negative argument to next-error goes backward so maybe C-x C-n can be
left untouched.

--
Stephan Stahl