Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:00:01 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes

   So let's make Info documents look and feel modern, like HTML does,
   without losing any of the wonderful features HTML lacks.

You are right.

The problem is, what is meant by `look and feel modern'?  To me HTML
looks more than two decades old, even though I know it is not.  This
is because output expressions do not distinguish between references to
the same document on a different page and distant documents, and
because I cannot go to next, previous, and subsequent nodes readily,
or do regular expression searches through a multi-page document.

It looks to me that HTML was designed by someone who thought everyone
would always be on one planet on the same, fast local area network.

    I don't see how hiding node names could be a step in the wrong
    direction.

Because node names tell you where a file is located.  Sometimes a file
on on someone else's local area network, and your connection to it is
slow or non-existant.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden