Re: [Fwd: [arch-users] Re: Gud lord!]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [arch-users] Re: Gud lord!]
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 15:58:53 -0400

I have no idea what you people are trying to do.
I think every Emacs developer agrees that it would be great to use
another system, whether Meta-CVS, Subversion, OpenCM, Arch, you name it.
I personally have a preference for either Meta-CVS or Arch (they're both
very "shallow" and have a unix-simplicity feel to them), but don't really
care either way when it comes down to it.

The problem is not whether we should switch, but when will we be able to.
The "support" issues I pointed out need to be resolved
first, including tranfering the history info from CVS to the new system
(it doesn't cut it to say "oh but you don't need it").

So when something like PCL-CVS exists, when Perspective provides the
same kind of functionality as ViewCVS (including .../foo/bar?rev=HEAD
links to post on newsgroups: I couldn't figure out how to do that),
when RPM packages are available everywhere, and when cvs2arch exists
and works (at least on the main branch), come back to bug me and I'll
be much more receptive to the idea, for sure.

        Stefan