Re: [Fwd: [arch-users] Re: Gud lord!]

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [Fwd: [arch-users] Re: Gud lord!]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:59:13 +0200

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:03:14 -0400
"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> wrote:

> when something goes wrong, you don't need to learn
> much about the in-repository format because it's basically obvious,
> so you can fix things fairly easily with the usual tools.
> I.e. you get to reuse the knowledge you've acquired while using
> all those other unix tools.

I've got the feeling that CVSROOT/* and friends are "basically obvious"
only to people with some sort of Unix background. But as you know, CVS
can be (and is) used from other, "friendlier" environments by people to
whom all these files would be black magic.

> I also think it tends to be over-emphasized
> in all those tools where they use new terms and warn you "this
> is a whole new concept" whereas in the end it's just very much
> all the same: edit, update, merge, diff, commit.

Yeah, I agree with that. Still, some of them insist in things like
decentralization, etc. I've got nothing against a centralized repository,
on the contrary :)

> Sure things like tags and branches might work differently, but
> note that Subversion is radically different from CVS in this respect
> as well ;-)

Fair enough :)

                                                                Juanma