Re: Gud lord!

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Gud lord!
Date: 10 Jun 2003 14:54:23 +0200

>     > If we are going to discuss what version control system to use,
>     > let's not do it under the rubric of "open source".
>
>     My use of "open source" is no "rubric" associated with any particular
>     group.
>
> The term "open source" is the name of a movement that was formed in
> 1998 to reject the free software movement's ideals.

In my opinion, not so much reject as downplay them, in order to
sucker^W convince people to develop free software that wouldn't think
of doing so `merely' for the sake of freedom.

I'd consider some of the capitalization achieved for free software
companies (like RedHat that acquired Cygnus and thus keeps GCC going
financially) to be due to the "Open Software" hype at that time.

> Many open source supporters tell people we are part of the open
> source movement.  We are trying to show people that is not so.

We profit in some ways from it.  Of course, there is also backlash
when business finds itself having problems from exalted expectations.