Re: Gud lord!

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gud lord!
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 20:21:20 -0400

    As an aside, I'd remind people that this is one of a very long list of
    reasons why CVS is inadequate for open source development

If we are going to discuss what version control system to use,
let's not do it under the rubric of "open source".

The open source movement was formed by people who rejected our ideals,
as a way of hushing up discussion of them.  Now we have to work hard
to inform people that the free software movement still exists.  To
have a discussion about our work under the heading of "open source"
would be counterproductive; therefore, I never do that.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html for
more explanation.

    > Please call back when there's actually a _stable_ and well-supported
    > alternative; currently neither arch nor subversion are.

    Define "stable."  I've been using arch without data loss for over a year
    on a code base of over a half a million lines.

The people who maintain Savannah don't want to run experimental
programs on it.