Re: narrow-to-here-document

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: narrow-to-here-document
Date: 26 Jun 2003 08:12:01 +0200

Stefan Daschek <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Actually, what one really would want is to have a
> > narrow-to-here-document which is not apparent in the display (leaving
> > the context around the here document), and to have hooks that will
> > revert the narrowing once the _user_ (as opposed to indentation code
> > and the like) tries leaving the narrowed area.  We would need some
> > functionality inside of Emacs in order to deal with that, probably.
>
> Well, that sounds a bit like what mmm-mode.el [1] already does (or at
> least tries to do).
>
> [1] http://mmm-mode.sourceforge.net/

AFAIR, it does not narrow, but merely switches major modes.  As an
example, it won't be useful for a shell script as a here document in
a shell script.  And indentation and stuff will look beyond the
beginning of the language area.

Perhaps indentation and brace matching and font locking and filling
and other syntactical properties could be made to depend on a text
property syntactic-realm or so that needs to be eq for belonging to
the same area as point, and maybe could contain a syntax table and a
local variable list or so?

Just brainstorming, ignore this if it seems too wildly absurd.