Re: substitute-in-file-name and "$"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: substitute-in-file-name and "$"
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 08:44:11 -0400

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 02:20:35PM +0200, Kai Gro?johann wrote:
> Now you are saying that docstrings should specify "I invoke
> substitute-in-file-name" or "I do not invoke substitute-in-file-name".
>
> Clearly, down that path lies madness.

Hardly.

Whether or not a function calls substitute-in-file-name makes a fairly
substantial difference in the result of the function.  Since the docstring is
supposed to say _what the function does_, it should surely mention if it
expands environment variables or not (even if substitute-in-file-name were
changed to be idempotent).

Since most functions don't do such expansion, of course, only the ones that
do need mention it.

-Miles
--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train