Re: CC Mode 5.30.1 (Message); new cc-awk mode indentation wrong after ++

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: CC Mode 5.30.1 (Message); new cc-awk mode indentation wrong after ++
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 07:44:23 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Richard Stallman wrote:

>    The fix will appear in the upcoming version 5.30.3.  Alternatively,
>    apply the following patch to the cc-engine.el in 5.30.1:

>Could someone install the right patch in the Emacs CVS sources, or else
>send the patch in -c format so people can install it?

HELP!!!  Can I get my breath back, please?

I sent this patch off as a quick fix for Miles, who had reported the bug.
(But yes, I should have used the -c format, for which see below.)  But
surely what should be installed in the Emacs CVS are the controlled
mini-releases, 5.30.n, rather than wild one-off patches.

Here's the patch again as a diff -c:

*** cc-engine.el        Sun Jul  6 11:30:49 2003
--- cc-engine.fixed.el  Sun Jul  6 11:59:33 2003
***************
*** 509,518 ****
        ;; that we've moved.
        (while (progn
               (setq pos (point))
!              (c-backward-syntactic-ws) ; might go back an awk-mode virtual
semicolon, here.
!                                         ; How about using c-awk-NL-prop for
AWK Mode, here.
!                                         ; Something like
c-awk-backward-syntactic-ws.
!                                         ; 2002/6/22.  Doesn't matter!  Leave
it as it is.
               (/= (skip-chars-backward "-+!*&address@hidden") 0))) ; ACM,
2002/5/31;
                                                          ; Make a variable in
                                                          ; cc-langs.el, maybe
--- 509,517 ----
        ;; that we've moved.
        (while (progn
               (setq pos (point))
!                (if (c-mode-is-new-awk-p)
!                    (c-awk-backward-syntactic-ws)
!                  (c-backward-syntactic-ws))
               (/= (skip-chars-backward "-+!*&address@hidden") 0))) ; ACM,
2002/5/31;
                                                          ; Make a variable in
                                                          ; cc-langs.el, maybe
***************
*** 820,826 ****
        ;; Skip over the unary operators that can start the statement.
        (goto-char pos)
        (while (progn
!              (c-backward-syntactic-ws)
               (/= (skip-chars-backward "-+!*&address@hidden") 0)) ; Hopefully
the # won't hurt awk.
        (setq pos (point)))
        (goto-char pos)
--- 819,827 ----
        ;; Skip over the unary operators that can start the statement.
        (goto-char pos)
        (while (progn
!              (if (c-mode-is-new-awk-p)
!                    (c-awk-backward-syntactic-ws)
!                  (c-backward-syntactic-ws))
               (/= (skip-chars-backward "-+!*&address@hidden") 0)) ; Hopefully
the # won't hurt awk.
        (setq pos (point)))
        (goto-char pos)