Re: Status of Unicode integration/support

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Status of Unicode integration/support
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:43:29 -0400

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 11:50:09AM -0400, Tom Emerson wrote:
> Can someone summarize the status of the Unicode implementation in the
> current CVS Emacs, especially as it relates to CJK and Arabic? What,
> if anything, needs to be done to build a version with this support?

I can't speak officially (nor authoritatively), but I've found that the
current CVS emacs handles CJK unicode stuff (e.g. utf-8) wonderfully if you
turn on `utf-translate-cjk-mode' (which is turned of by default to avoid
_not_ the future `unicode emacs', just the usual emacs with proper handling
of unicody encodings.

I don't think that any special attention is needed to build emacs with this
support.

Interestingly I tried setting my login LANG to `ja_JP.utf-8' for a while, and
emacs was one of the few programs that got it right; mozilla wouldn't start,
and gnome (2.2) programs crashed left and right!

-Miles