Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:08:47 -0500

    > Dropping a file name on the menu bar currently opens the file in a new
    > window.  I think that is useful (i.e. I use it all the time :-)

    It might be useful, but I'd find it confusing.

Here's a bizarre idea.  If you bring up a menu and drop a file on a
menu item, the chosen command operates on that file name as argument.

    I'd much rather drop directly into the window or maybe the modeline (in
    case you want the "drop into window" to insert the file's [name] instead).

Dropping the file onto the window would mean something else, at least
in the case of a dired buffer.  It would mean to move or copy the file
into that directory.  So we can't use that action as the command for
opening the file in Emacs.