Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Drag and drop patch for X, please review.
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:09:16 -0500

    Maybe, but then dired would have to have code to handle all the details
    of all drag and drop protocols, basically all the code that is in
    the new file x-dnd.el and more since I haven't added Motif and
    OpenWindows

It could perhaps call a subroutine that does most of the work,
but with a different argument from the one used globally.

Or the global command could generate and unread a modified
event, which would then be looked up in turn.

    Thinking about it, it would actually not do the job.  Because if the
    drag
    enters Emacs in a non-dired buffer, dired would not see the XdndEnter
    message.  Later on when the mouse travels to a dired buffer, dired would
    just see a XdndPosition message, and that is not enough.

Which of these messages causes the Lisp-level drag-n-drop event?
I would guess it is the last message that does so.

      Also, we are
    not
    selecting the buffers that the mouse travels over when doing a drop,
    so a local binding would have no effect if another buffer
    is selected when the drag starts.

The time to look up the proper key binding is when the drop *ends*,
and only then.  It is not hard to get the key bindings for a given
place on the Emacs frame.  We do that for mouse clicks, we could do it
here too.

    The reason for not selecting the buffer the mouse is over is that a drag
    can be aborted,

It certainly should not select the buffer.  There is no need for that.