Re: ruler support in hexl mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: ruler support in hexl mode
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:55:36 -0500

    Note that if there's no margin (i.e. 99% of the time) this will not align
    things properly on a text terminal.  This is the reason why I do
    a `make-string' for the leading space: the size of the string is used
    for alignment in text-terminals while the `display' prop is used otherwise.

Should this be documented in the Lisp manual along with the :align-to
feature?

    Also, how about adding a `text-start' special case which would stand for
    (+ (scroll-bar . left) left-fringe left-margin) so that we don't have to

Could you be more specific about the change you have in mind?