Re: ruler support in hexl mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: ruler support in hexl mode
Date: 15 Mar 2004 12:00:39 +0100

>     Note that if there's no margin (i.e. 99% of the time) this will not align
>     things properly on a text terminal.  This is the reason why I do
>     a `make-string' for the leading space: the size of the string is used
>     for alignment in text-terminals while the `display' prop is used
> otherwise.
>
> Should this be documented in the Lisp manual along with the :align-to
> feature?

I think it would be better do add :align-to support to the text terminal.
It is on my to-do list to add that.

>     Also, how about adding a `text-start' special case which would stand for
>     (+ (scroll-bar . left) left-fringe left-margin) so that we don't have to
>
> Could you be more specific about the change you have in mind?

It should be possible to say :align-to 'text-left to have text in the
header line (or mode line) exactly aligned to the left edge of the text
area of the window.  That is possible with the expression given above,
but it is the wrong approach for that purpose.

I will work on it.